Support available from Taylormade Libraries
Whether you require a major one-off project, such as setting up and developing a new library, staff training or support as a critical friend, or more regular assistance, we can provide specialist independent advice and support tailored to your specific needs. Our aim is to ensure your library is at the heart of your school - actively supporting the whole curriculum and developing the reading interests of your pupils.
Laura Taylor had 10 years experience as a local authority schools' library advisor, was an SSAT Lead Practitioner and is a consultant for the
The School's Network . She not only established a successful and vibrant library as Librarian at the City of London Academy, but has also assisted several other primary and secondary schools set up and develop their libraries.
Support is available to primary and secondary schools by:-
- assisting in new library/LRC design and layout, shelving, furniture,security and computerised library management systems
- selecting a range of stock appropriate to the needs of your students
- advising on relevant on-line and e-learning resources and equipment
- pre and post Ofsted audits and development plans
- recruiting, interviewing and training staff
- advising on budgets and polices
- sharing strategies to develop the cross-curricular whole school role of the library/LRC
- suggesting ways to encourage reading and create a whole school reading culture with the library at the heart of reading for pleasure and literacy development.
- assisting in developing your library's presence on your VLE
Support is also on offer to South East London primary schools on a more regular basis. After an initial advisory visit, where we can draw up an action plan for future development so as to ensure the library is central to supporting your school's literacy priorities, we can offer further practical support by:-
- Organising the library after initially assessing and editing the stock. Classifying and colour-coding.
- Selecting new books for the library
- Advising on and setting up, installing and managing a computerised library system
- Training teaching staff, volunteers and pupil helpers to operate and maintain the library
- Collaborating with your Literacy co-ordinator and teaching staff to develop information literacy skills in your pupils
- Promoting reading for pleasure with a wide range of events and activities
- Developing reading groups and book clubs based in the library
- Opening the library for classes to select books and carry out project work and research
This will ensure your school library is at the heart of a vibrant whole school reading environment supporting literacy across the curriculum.